On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Suriyanarayanan, Senthil Kumar wrote:

> I'm new to struts and started using it (just deployed the struts-example). I
> wonder whether we could
> use struts out of the Web Application Archive, as an extracted one, without
> any reference to web.xml and just
> refer only the tld and struts.jar file. Are there any sample or simple
> application demonstrating the above.

Struts critically depends on several things that are only configurable
in the web application deployment descriptor (web.xml) file, including:

* Configuration parameters for the controller servlet

* The servlet mapping mechanism used to map requests to the controller
  servlet (typically using the "*.do" extension mapping pattern)

* The fact that the controller servlet should be loaded at startup
  time, so that the application resources are initialized correctly

* References to the various tag library descriptor files (TLDs) that
  are used in this application

Struts depends on these features, so it is not practical to run a web
application without the web.xml deployment descriptor being properly
configured.

> Thanks in advance
> Senthil Kumar.S

Craig McClanahan