Because J2EE SDK deploytool has changed your web.xml(maybe this is a bug of
deploytool?) from:

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/*.do</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

So the servlet action is only executed when you open URL :
http://localhost/struts-example/*.do
and is NOT executed when you open
http://localhost/struts-example/something.do

 I found where the J2EE server stores its JAR files and change my web.xml
again to correct it. You should deploy the application. After that, find the
JAR file (which its name is displayed on the deploytool when you deploy the
application ) and correct the web.xml in that JAR file

 Regards,
 Thai