Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 3:30 AM
Subject: Re: Dreamweaver ThirdPartyTags for HTML taglib?

Unfortunately, I jumped the gun.  I quickly realized that the Dreamweaver ThirdPartyTags only allows you to substitute an icon in place of a tag and can not render HTML elements as I first thought it might.

I found the alternatives posted to the list too intensive, "workaround", or complex for my needs right now.  I will wait  a year or so and hope that Dreamweaver improves its support for custom tags (to include some sort of translation from custom tags to HTML elements for display and graphical editing -- just enough so you could visualize the design)

I am also considering not using the Struts HTML tags (if possible) and still use Struts but w/ standard HTML form input elements in some cases.

I really want to turn the site over to the graphic artist and web designer after the software engineers finish their part.  Unfortunately, if we use Struts we will not be able to do so as easily!  ...and that puts us back into the days of servlet programming pre JSP where only the engineers will figure it out.  Why do the artists need to learn a new syntax?... they already know HTML and know how to leave the JSP tags alone.   Acknowledged, there are plenty of web designers who could do the job, but I want the team to be able to visualize what they are working on using good tools that abstract the detail so they can concentrate on the graphic design and layout.  Sure, we could also design the site artwork first by creating an HTML storyboard and then convert to struts taglibs, but at some point maintenance and/or "facelift" will be an issue.

Any thoughts anyone?

Below was the most promising of the replies:
Hi ,

Several weeks ago, I sent an email to this list describing an extension for
Dreamweaver UltraDev that allows for the creation of JSPs with custom tag
libraries in UltraDev's development environment. I expressed our intention
to release the extension through jakarta if there was interest. After the
decision was made to donate the code to the taglibs project, Macromedia
released UltraDev 4, incorporating many bug fixes in their SDK. I took
these past couple weeks to optimize the extension for UltraDev 4 and the
revised SDK, to increase the stability and feature set of the extension. It
is now ready for an initial examination.

As stated in its documentation, the extension is not commercial code to be
used immediately for creating webapps; rather it is part of an
investigation into the current and potential state of tool support for the
authoring of JSPs with custom tag libraries. As a foundation for this
investigation, the extension is intended to have its limitations explored,
and be built upon.

The Custom Tag Library Extension for UltraDev (CTLX) can be downloaded here:
http://www.shokker.com/ctlx/ctlx.zip.

Inside the zip file is the documentation (ctlxmanual.html). The doc
includes detailed information for installing the extension, as well as a
tutorial to guide you through the process of creating a JSP with custom
tags using the extension. For a quick start, I recommend following the
"Installing the Extension" section, and then running the tutorial.

With your consent, I'd like to donate CTLX to the taglibs project.

Dan Mandell
Sun Microsystems