So in your scenario (as a proposed solution to my problem), I would add syncronization code to xxxHandler.java?

That seems elegant; I had never thought of implementing a separate handler class for my EJB's, although it's always been on my "to-do" list to try having Bean and Remote implement a common interface (just haven't gotten around to it yet). From my standpoint (and the problem I'm trying to solve), I'm not sure that adding the "xxxHandler" class with syncronization is going to be any easier for me than a general-purpose "Servlet session syncronization" utility, since I am at ground zero with either approach. They both have appeal. I will stew on this over lunch today and see where that leads me.

Thanks for the input,

Bryan

Jason Pringle wrote:
168B2A5F6A99D4119E200008C7C9CA80DE35CE@GIBRALTAR">
I usually try to stay far away from doing lock/unlock type things with
threaded access - really testing it can get too hairy, and problems tend to
be hard to trace.

The practice we use here for EJBs is thus (it's actually not too hard to do,
and hides the fact that you're using EJBs from the front end).

Ixxx.java - interface defining business methods
xxxBean.java - implementation code: xxxBean implements SessionBean, Ixxx
xxxHome.java - standard Home interface
xxxRemote.java - remote interface, extends EJBObject, Ixxx
xxxHandler.java - wrapper class, implements Ixxx

The JavaBeans (and JSPs in some cases - no, we're not using Struts (yet))
use the xxxHandler classes for all access. The xxxHandler actually does to
the lookup, home create, portable narrow, and delegates all calls to the
EJB. The code is so straightforward it could! really be generated (of
course, we don't do that). Since everything runs off of the Ixxx interface,
the compiler will catch if you change signatures in one place and not the
other. And your Remote interface is empty, since it just "joins" the
EJBObject and Ixxx interfaces.

Food for thought, there are many other ways to do this.

--jason