I'm finding a similar problem with Resin - under SSL it connects fine
but the html:link tags resolve to <a> </a>.

I tried adding the handler at the command line (as also recommended by
http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/INSTALL.html - item 7).

java -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol

but got the standard help screen in return, like I used an invalid
option, although -D<name>=<value> is listed as an option.

I'm using

java version "1.3.0_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0_02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.0_02, mixed mode)

And a Thawte certificate (PKCS #7 Certificate Chain format).

The jsse.jar is in my /jre/lib/ext directory, and everything not
involving hyperlinks seems fine.

Any ideas why this didn't take at the command line? If not, I guess the
next thing to try would be to subclass ActionServlet, extend init, and
try it at runtime.

(BTW, it seems that Catalina adds this protocol automatically, but
apparently other containers are not so clever ;-)