The second way I tried to run this was by simply establishing a connection to the database manually in my Action class and using Class.forName(jdbcUrl). However, this time, when I try run the app it will crap out when I try to do the actual query and give me a class not found exception at Class.forName(jdbcUrl) at the Tomcat console. The browser gives me a null pointer exception. I think I have all the required imports within my classes.

It is my understanding that it should be Class.forName(driverName). This is how the class loader makes the driver available to your app and is also the reason why you are getting a  ClassNotFoundException.

HTH,

Robert