one of the first things the ActionServlet does after
identifying/creating a FormBean instance is calling FormBean.reset()
on it. you'll need to add a similar switch() or conditional in your
reset() method so all your fields aren't initialized.

not sure about 2. i think they were just checking whether it was in
the request or session scopes, but it was always defined in at least
one of those two???? not exactly sure about your context.

jae