Title: RE: Basic Design Question...

Read up on the MVC/Model 2 design pattern.  Struts is based on this design pattern.  It much better to have one servlet (controller) and several actions (models), than to have serveral servlets.

-----Original Message-----
From: Prakash Dominic [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 2:04 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Basic Design Question...

Hello Folks,

A quick design question. This might be nit
picking from a design standpoint but still a
valid question.

Struts uses the Action.perform(...) API for
action hadling/controller. I am curious to know
why Servlets can't be used for the Action Handling
layer. That way there is no need to introduce
2 new APIs to learn - Action and struts-config.xml.

The web.xml could replace the struts-config for
action mapping. And framework users simply implement
Servlets instead of Action subclasses.

Does this make sense or am I am missing something
here ?

Thanks,
Prakash

--