As a profession developer I have taken to learning how to use Struts
for several reasons (besides being Java, and thus way cool).

It's free. It doesn't cost me anything to develop or deploy.

Open Source. If the development team die in a freak accident
from caffeine overdose at something like JavaOne then I can
continue to apply my own patches to it. If Oracle disappeared
tomorrow (or Cisco?) then who is going to apply patches, provide
support and have further releases?

if you end up developing your own framework, that's great
but why re-invent the wheel? Does it matter if it doesn't become
sanctioned? Your own framework won't become sanctioned? I developed
my own framework when Turbine was being developed and
discovered that amount of work it took was huge. I could have
adopted Turbine an done all the development with that (I
didn't because Turbine is huge and I was starting out with
JavaServlets, and the best way I learn is to do it myself.)