I'm personnaly using Cocoon the generate HTML output from XML documents.

The custom tag will simply get the parameters, put them in the request
and dispatch the request to the cocoon servlet.

This cocoon servlet will invoke a specific Cocoon Producer that will
generate XML that will be afterwards transformed into HTML using a XSLT
stylesheet.

I works fine with me !!

Regards,

Thibaut