I'd like to get a discussion started on the
client/standard validations for Struts 1.1.  I thought
it would be good to talk about what basic features it
would include and implementation.  Here are the
descriptions from the To Do list for 1.1.

Standard Validations.
Add the ability to configure standard validations on
particular properties to be enforced by the controller
servlet automatically. Where feasible, client-side
JavaScript validations may also be generated based on
the same configuration rules.

Client Side Validation.
Add the ability to automatically generate optional
JavaScript code to perform client-side validations for
things like required fields, numeric fields,
dates/times/timestamps, and so on. The required
validation should mesh with validation enhancements
provided in the controller servlet itself.

Nic Hobbs and I have both volunteered for the Standard
(Server Side) Validations and Ted Husted, Nic Hobbs,
Spencer Smith and I have volunteered for the Client
Validations (JavaScript).  Ted has been using a
validation framework I've done on a project (I'm not
sure what version).  It lets you define your
validation rules in an xml file.  It supports
internationalized rules for a form and
internationalized messages.  It has basic support for
creating JavaScript methods that can do what a server
side method does. The code, documentation, and example
webapps are posted here.  And of course Struts is
welcome to the source code if everyone thinks that
what I've done so far is good foundation to start on.
http://home.earthlink.net/~dwinterfeldt/

If any of the other volunteers have started something,
I'd like to see it and I'm sure everyone has ideas for
the design.  I'd go into more detail about everything
I've done, but it is probably easier for anyone
interested to go to my site and read the documentation
and javadocs posted there.

David Winterfeldt
http://home.earthlink.net/~dwinterfeldt/