On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Ian Kallen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At JavaOne today, it seemed to be suggested that j2ee would have a MVC
> framework join the recommendations.  Later in the talk ("scalibility
> in the web tier with jsp blah blah" ridiculously long title), it
> struts was alluded to as being part of j2ee in the future.  So is
> struts the ever mysterious "Java Server Faces"?

No, it's not ... but they will work together.

JavaServer Faces is focused on creating a GUI component model for web
apps, so that you can create development tools that give page developers
an experience similar to WebForms -- drag some GUI components onto your
page and attach event handlers to them.  Due to the nature of HTML and
HTTP, some of these events will happen on the client side, and some will
require a roundtrip to the server to do something and redisplay the same
page.  JSF is going to be developed under the Java Community Process as
JSR-127, and I've been invited to join the expert group.

>From the perspective of Struts, JavaServer Faces will provide an alternate
approach to building the pages in the view layer -- and you can still use
the the rest of the framework to manage the overall application.

As for "an MVC framework as part of J2EE's future", a *lot* of people at
JavaOne seemed to think that this would be a good idea, and that Struts
would make a good framework ... you never know what the future might hold

> cheers,
> -Ian
>
> --
> Ian Kallen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | AIM: iankallen

Craig