Hello all.
I wanted to know where you are doing type conversion.  The reason I ask is because to some extent one may choose to do slightly deeper validations in the ActionForm for reasons of expectation.  The question remains as to the exact level of "light" validation we should do in the ActionForm.  From reading the list it seems the general consensus is to only do validation of a value's existance.  However, where do you do type conversion then?  In the ActionForm? In the Action?  In the BusinessObject layer?  The issues are:

1) If I do it in the ActionForm and there is a problem in the Action, then I have to reconvert back to a String on the way back.;

2) If I do it in the Action, same problem, but also the argument has been brought to my attention that the ActionForm bean (although temporary) does not truly represent the data it contains (like when a value represents a double, money, or a Date)

3) If I do it in the Business Layer than the message has gone deeper into the application than necessary which sacrifices performance and needless use of resources.