From: Dave Small [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: June 14, 2001 5:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Server-side form validation - anything in STRUTS?

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for this response.

> Have you read any of the Struts documentation?

If you mean the User Guide on the STRUTS site, yes I have. But it
doesn't include much of a 'discussion' on form validation - that is why
I have tried to start one up...

> Also, you could go to my article on the VisualAge
> developer's domain about why you want to use Struts

I have now looked at this - thanks for the pointer...

> Of couse, the documentation also makes this perfectly clear...

It's perfectly clear how a single form can be validated within STRUTS
(thanks to Wellington Lacerda for his input and clarification too).
However, your article points to implementing the 'validate' method in a
very low-level way, coding the validation logic on a per-form basis as
required. I guess my real question was whether STRUTS had taken a
higher-level abstraction of the validation required, so that form
validation can be expressed external to the Java code (eg. in a
properties file).

Wellington Lacerda ponits out that 'Inside the validation method you can
use any kind of logic you want' - is there any work on generalising this
logic?

Thanks for you time on this one :)
Dave