The problem is in mainMenu.jsp, which is the result page that gets routed
to.
You have to change the code to this(mainly use standard jsp syntax to output
the name, otherwise it wouldn't work!):
------------------
<%@ page language="java" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/app.tld" prefix="app" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld" prefix="bean" %>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld" prefix="html" %>
<app:checkLogon/>
<jsp:useBean id="user" scope="session"
type="org.apache.struts.webapp.example.User"/>

<head>
<title><bean:message key="mainMenu.title"/></title>
</head>

<h3><bean:message key="mainMenu.heading"/>
<%= user.getUsername()%></h3>
<ul>
<li><html:link page="/editRegistration.do?action=Edit"><bean:message
key="mainMenu.registration"/></html:link></li>
<li><html:link forward="logoff"><bean:message
key="mainMenu.logoff"/></html:link></li>
</ul>