On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, troy hart wrote:

> I have a situation in which I need to forward to a certain place with
> a form (i.e. I need to reference an anchor in my href...). I can code
> my action class to determine what the anchor needs to be, but I'm at a
> loss for how I would get the ActionForward to include the anchor...
>
> I could maybe do something like:
> myActionForward.setPath(myActionForward.getPath() + "myAnchor");

It would have to be "#myAnchor" instead, so that you get the "#" character
that marks the anchor.

> But then I believe the path would be tainted for subsequent requests
> that need to use that ActionForward....
>
> Has anyone dealt with this issue before???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Troy

You cannot forward to an anchor.  You can only redirect to an anchor.

The reason for this is that anchors are interpreted by the client, not the
server.  Doing a forward passes the URL to the server, but *not* back to
the client (note that the location bar in the browser doesn't change), so
the browser will never see it.

Craig