Wondered if anyone would bite ...

+ Extension matching for servlets is not available in some hosting
environments.

+ Some proxy servers choke on query strings. An enhancement to Struts
could use "extra path information" instead, but extension matching would
complicate matters. For more, see

<
http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg11655.html

Here's a working URL that uses an extra path rather than a query string:

< http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0130648841/hitchhikeguidetoA/ >

As a query string this might read

< http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos?ISBN=0130648841&hitchhikeguidetoA >

+ *.do correlates with *.jsp, but Actions are not JSPs (or even
servlets). Extension mapping encourages developers to think of Action
URIs as a path rather than like a method signature.

+ /do/ looks ~way~ cooler on the address bar ;-)

Of course, if a developer uses global forwards for all links (no
page='s), then switching back and forth can be just a matter of editing
the configuration file ;-)