I know that this have been asked several times, but I did
not find answer for this little problem.

I have list of lets say users. Each user has a link that maps
to edituser action. That action then gets executed and it
places userbean to request scope. Then struts forwards
action to edituser.jsp. Edituser.jsp has form that has
action mapping set to updateuser. When user submits
that form which binds to userform action form the
validate method of that actionform gets executed. If
validation errors occurred then we get back to input
form (which is edituser.jsp or edituser.do <-- which
to use?). And this is the point when I do not really
understand what I should do, because when user gets
back to edituser.jsp or edituser.do then there is not
anymore that userbean is request scope. And because
edituser.do does not have any forms associated with
it then I should instead use edituser.jsp as input for
updateuser action. But how I then write that form
(jsp-page)?

I have several options:

1. put userbean in session scope (might be problem in
multiserver environment also the modifications that user
entered are not visible).

2. Have another jsp-page that does not populate the form
from userbean. Not good option because almost the same
form needs to be written second time.

3. Use logic tags to check the existence of userbean and if
it does not exist then do not populate and let the form
populate itself from posted form. Same problems as in 2.

4. Somehow prepopulate the form with no manual
population, but automatically. So do I pre-populate the
form. What code I need to put in edituser action that
previously placed userbean in request scope. I want to
place the form object in that same scope, but don't
know how. This is the best option and has no problems
or at least I have not found a one.

Thanks again!

Aapo Laakkonen

-- Aapo Laakkonen, +358 (50) 33 99 682, ProjectCast Ltd, Helsinki, Finland.