Another thing I found (as I mentioned in 'RE: Can't load action classes
(solution)') was that using the <load-on-startup> tag web.xml file to
make sure the struts ActionServlet is loaded first seems to help.
Something like:

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>

    <init-param>
      <param-name>config</param-name>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>application</param-name>
      <param-value>ApplicationResources</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>validate</param-name>
      <param-value>true</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

At least, it worked last week.  I tried running my app again today to
make sure everything still worked and it didn't.  Work, that is. :(
NOTE: I changed the LOS value from 0 in my original post to 1 since
the spec says positive integers indicate load order and anything else
can be loaded anytime; not sure if 0 is considered a positive integer
by the Tomcat developers. :)

I'll keep trying.

Ethan