Thanks again David.

I have explored extending ActionForm to check for and ignore first time
validation. However, it seems from my debug, that the form bean is
created a new each time. Can someone else confirm this ?

My further question is this:

If I choose NOT to use automatic validation, and my request goes to the
Action first [not the JSP], then what isthe best way to determine in the
action that this is the 'first time' for this form bean i.e. it has been
created only as a result of the ActionServlet, not because it's coming
from the form on a JSP ?

I know you can check the values of the form bean, but this seems a
little messy. Any suggestions ?

Any help is appreciated, as this is an important issue for us.

Cheers

Ghoot