From: Greg Maletic [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 12:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Taglibs decrease the separation between designer and developer?

Your post brings up a good point concerning what I think is a false
assumption concerning the separation between designer and developer.

Despite the potential good uses that taglibs can be put to, HTML pages with
JSP scriptlets are, I believe, easier to read by web designers than pages
with Struts taglibs.  (The one caveat being the one I mentioned before--that
ONLY view logic--and not business logic--should reside in scriptlets.)  My
reasoning--and experience--is that when I simply used JSPs, I told our
designer to completely ignore the stuff inside the "<% %>"s and code around
them.  Things were fine.

Now that we're using Struts, I have to instruct our designer on the ins and
outs of a completely new set of pseudo-HTML tags that he doesn't understand
at all--and NOT to use the tags he's familiar with ("<form>", "<head>",
etc.)

It was much easier for both him and me before we made this switch.  Struts
taglibs--and other taglibs--introduce, in essence, yet another language that
we all have to learn.

======================================
Greg Maletic
Chief Technical Officer
Zero G Software, Inc.
514 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94107

tel: +1.415.512.7771 x303
fax: +1.415.723.7244
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.ZeroG.com <http://www.ZeroG.com>

The leading provider of multi-platform software deployment solutions.