From: Bill Clinton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 2:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Taglibs decrease the separation between designer and
developer?

Greg,
    I think you are exagerating a bit when you say that "Struts
taglibs--and other taglibs--introduce, in essence, yet another language
that we all have to learn."  Comparing a handful of scripting tags that,
for the most part, correspond directly to existing html tags to the
learning of a language is a bit much.
    That said, if your designer is unable to understand struts tags, I
would recommend that you ask him not to touch them.  I don't understand
why you would feel the need to teach a designer "the ins and outs" of
Struts tags.  Maybe you could try something like this: design the app,
using completely stripped jsp pages.  Ask your designer to do the
interface, then put the tags in his interface.  If the designer needs
control of the presentation of html contained within custom tags, use
style sheets.
    Also, if you honestly do feel that things were easier without
struts, don't use it.  It is not a part of the servlet/jsp spec or
anything, and its use is completely optional.  But I would urge you to
stick with it a little more.  I think its many advantages far outweigh
the small learning curve.