On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Ted Husted wrote:

> Is there a way to hook into a application scope attributes without a
> direct link to a servlet?
>
> Perhaps through JNDI?
>
> Specifically, I'd like to hook into the Generic Connection Pool's
> datasource, that's exposed as "org.apache.struts.action.DATA_SOURCE" in
> the application context, without specifically linking into Struts or
> HTTP. (It's a layered architecture thing.)
>
> -Ted.

You won't be able to use the Struts connection pool directly, but all J2EE
application servers (and some servlet containers, such as Tomcat 4) let
you configure a connection pool that can be accessed via JNDI.  I
responded to a similar question with the details of this earlier today, so
it should show up shortly.

Craig