I agree with Devon's concerns about this.  Struts assumes a pretty robust
understanding of the general principles of servlet and JSP programming
(including the intricacies of a web application archive file).

The good news for developers is that all of this level of knowledge is
transferrable, because the underlying specs are used by *any* servlet and
JSP environment, and the various app servers and servlet containers
implement them (pretty much, and getting better :-) the same way.  But you
are going to be an unhappy camper if you don't know what <load-on-startup>
does, or that you have to make session attributes thread safe, or how the
/WEB-INF directory is organized, or ...).

Craig