I hadn't gotten any response on struts-dev yet, so I thought I'd try
struts-user out after seeing a related message about URL rewriting......

I have a custom subclass of ImgTag that overrides the src() method to
provide a custom URL depending on some flags in our system (in order to
offload image serving from the application server by hosting them off Apache
directly).    In development environments the URL's returned are within the
application context.  In production environments, the URL's returned are
absolute "http://...."; and not within the application context.

All URL's end up getting rewritten with the ";jsessionid" initially, but it
doesn't make sense to have URL's outside the app. context rewritten that
way.

Has anyone encountered this problem and resolved it?    In ImgTag the
HttpServletRequest.encodeURL method is called which where that is happening,
but why?    Does it blindly rewrite all URL's?    Or should it only rewrite
URL's within its own application context as seems logical to me?   Is it my
app. server (Resin 2.0) that is doing the wrong thing?

And if encodeURL is supposed to blindly rewrite all URL's, shouldn't we make
some kind of switch to either turn on/off the URL rewriting in ImgTag?

For now we are handling it by having Apache strip off the ";jsessionid"
before those requests for images in our image cache.

Thanks,
    Erik