From: Andy Noble [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 1:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Security with Servlet 2.3 API

I've just read an article that suggests that authentication can be done by a filter in the servlet 2.3 API, which I believe Tomcat 4 will support.

Having seen other threads, there appears to be a number of methods available, such as:

1. subclass ActionServlet
2. JSP custom tags
3. Check in each Action class

Has anyone any experience or thoughts on this?

At the moment, I guess I'm in favour of the ActionServlet subclass just to keep it all in one place, but the filter method also sounds a possibility.

Andy Noble