In my opinion, this is a very stable infrastructure.  It really depends on your
application server to whether there are a lot of "workarounds" or not.  It
seems that Struts is very stable, but some appservers are not correct in their
implementation of J2EE, and struts makes those very apparent.

The good news is that this mailing list is very active and I think there
probably is someone on this list that has a particular appservers "quirks"
figured out.

Hope this helps,

Matt