This raises an interesting question.

"JSP documents", the XML verion of JSP, is defined in JSP spec 1.2 (Let's call them xJSP.) I think Tomcat 4.0 implements it.

In xJSP, expressions like <%= blah %> are represented as

  <jsp:expression>blah</jsp:expression>

So, does a JSP 1.2 compliant JSP container handles an xJSP containing something like:

which is equivalent to this in normal JSP:

Or, is there a different approach to acheive the same effect?
--
John