Hi,

I'm trying to develop a basic portal app using tiles.  Each user may have
selected different components that they want to display in different
locations.  At the moment the I'm thinking of implementing this by
dynamically building up a Definition for each user containing their
preferences - an object representation of something like this:

<definition name="main.portal.body" path="/layout/columnsLayout.jsp">
          <put name="numCols" value="2" />
          <putList name="list0" >
            <add value="/tutorial/portal/login.jsp" />
            <add value="/tutorial/portal/messages.jsp" />
            <add value="/tutorial/portal/newsFeed.jsp" />
            <add value="/tutorial/portal/advert2.jsp" />
          </putList>
          <putList name="list1" >
            <add value="/tutorial/portal/advert3.jsp" />
            <add value="/tutorial/portal/stocks.jsp" />
            <add value="/tutorial/portal/whatsNew.jsp" />
            <add value="/tutorial/portal/personalLinks.jsp" />
            <add value="/tutorial/portal/search.jsp" />
          </putList>
</definition>

when saving a users preferences I'd convert the object tree to xml and store
it somewhere.

Is this a good idea?
Is there a standard way of reversing the Digester code (taking an object
tree and generating XML) - do we need a regurgitater :)
Is it possible to re-use the digester that tiles uses to read the
tilesDefinition.xml to generate the object tree when retrieving the
preferences from the database?

Cheers
Nathan

the system manager.

MIMEsweeper at LevelSeas for the presence of computer viruses.

www.mimesweeper.com