When I get errors with my form validation, I cannot seem to place them where
I want them.

I have tried <html:errors /> and <html:errors property="firstName"/>

1) In both cases (and even when there is no errors tag at all), I get all of
the errors at the top of my page... any ideas why?

2) Once I get errors, I then have a page with no javascript on it - in which
case the user can then just type garbage, which I want to check on the
client side. How do I get around this one?

I've seen posts that use the errors.header/footer to include some clever
javascript - is this the only way?

Thanks

Marcos