"David Bueche" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Struts Disadvantages:
>
> 1. Instead of direct dispatching by controller Servlet(s), dispatching is
defined
> in an XML file, adding a layer of indirection overhead to the
architecture.

Do you really think, this is an disadvantage?

> 2. Requires behavior typically factored for commonality in controller
Servlet
> methods to be duplicated in every Action subclass (some common behavior
could
> possibly be delegated to additional classes or components and accessed by
each
> Action subclass).

There is still the possibility to subclass ActionServlet and so create own
controller.

> 3. Struts internationalization is limited to static strings and does not
include
> internationalization of data returned by a business component.

A bit can be achieved with the placeholders in constant strings.

> 4. Struts internationalization requires an ApplicationResources.properties
file,
> which conflicts with the current Enterprise Java Application Standard of
definely
> properties directly in the web.xml file.

Struts does not use ApplicationResources.properties as real properties. The
file
is used only as a handy tool for peristing string maps. In our projects we
use
database backed internationalization with struts.

> 5. Presentation of message collections is predefined in tag libraries
(although
> these could be modified for more specialized presentation).
>
> 6. Requires understanding of custom tags and tag libraries, as well as
their
> deployment.  While this may not be a problem for more advanced developers,
this
> will add another layer of complexity for less experienced development and
support
> teams and requiring more intensive EAS involvement.
>
> 7. Delegating much of the presentation layer to custom tags can make the
final
> HTML/presentation less clear than HTML placed directly in the
JSPs/Servlets.

8. Delegating much of the presentation layer to custom tags can become a
performance
problem.

--
gR