I am trying to redirect a user to the login page if they bookmark a page and
don't have the right authorization when they access it.  Essentailly, once
someone is securely logged in, I store an object in the session - it's
presence proves they are logged in.  If it isn't there, then they should be
redirected.  I put the logic in my actual page, it works.  If I put it in
the body of my template (since I want it on every page) it can't redirect.
Why?  I know that the redirect code gets executed, but I either end up
seeing the page i wanted to access, or I end up seeing a blank page.  I've
tried the following tags:

<% response.sendRedirect("/login.jsp"); %>

<forward name="loginpage" path="/login.jsp" redirect="true" />

Any thoughts?  My workaround now is to put the tag in each page
individually, but I'd really like to be able to put it in my templates.

Thanks!
Becky