Rob,

I find it useful (and easier) to work off of other's examples.  Here's what I have done
in the past (actually last Friday):
<logic:iterate id="myList" name="countrystatcollection">
</logic:iterate>

Where:

1)  myList: is just an ID that I made up
2) countrystatcollection:  is a collection ( java.util.List ) that I set on the request
object in an action,  which forwards to the page that contains the iterate tag.

//get an object array from helper class
CountryStat[] countryStatArray = ch.retrieveCountryCounts();

int iLength = countryStatArray.length;

for(int n = 0; n < iLength; n++ ){
   //don't add nulls
   if (countryStatArray[n] != null)
       list.add(countryStatArray[n]);
   }
   request.setAttribute("countrystatcollection", list);

3)  countrystat:  is a simple bean that contains the following members:

protected String countryname = null;

    public String getCountryname() {
        return countryname;
    }

    public void setCountryname(String countryname) {
        this.countryname = countryname;
    }

    protected String countryprocessedcount = null;

    public String getCountryprocessedcount()  {
          return countryprocessedcount;
       }

       public void setCountryprocessedcount(String asCountryprocessedcount) {

           this.countryprocessedcount = asCountryprocessedcount;
       }
    protected String countrytotalcount = null;

    public String getCountrytotalcount() {
           return countrytotalcount;
       }

       public void setCountrytotalcount(String asCountrytotalcount) {
           this.countrytotalcount = asCountrytotalcount;
       }

Hope this provides some insight into your problem.

Brian