In the servlet logging of your servlet container. In Tomcat, this is
TOMCAT_HOME/logs/servlet.log

> [2] Is there something beyond setting the servlet debug
> parameter in the
> web.xml file for the app that is required to get debug
> happening.  That is
> -:
>
>     <init-param>
>       <param-name>debug</param-name>
>       <param-value>3</param-value>
>     </init-param>

Not that I am aware of.

> [3] Any thoughts on whether there is benefit in going to
> Log4j above and
> beyond the struts servlet debug functionality?

I did, because I like logcat.debug() more than (if servlet.getDebug >=
1). Moreover, you can do all your logging in the same file. If you use
the struts logging, and want to do logging in your business objects,
you'd have to pass them the servlet Object you're using for logging,
which isn't a nice way to work IMHO. But I can see reasons why struts
doesn't embrace log4j though.

hth,
tomK