Hi,

  I don't know if your poor performances come from bean:message tags, but there
is an alternative to it.
  Another approach to i18n is having one page for each Locale. Each page contains
appropriate translation. Pages can be grouped in localized directories.
  Tiles framework can help you for this (and for the 64k limit !). You can have
different version of the same Tile (a jsp page), one for each Locale. When you
insert your Tile, framework choose the appropriate one, according to Locale.
Mapping between Tiles name to insert and real jsp page is done in
tilesDefinition.xml file. You have one config file per Locale. Config file naming
follow the Java properties file convention (extension with Locale's
abbreviation).
  Tiles allow mixing of localized Tiles and use of bean:message. Use Tiles for
big pages, tags for small part, menus, ...

  Hope this help,

    Cedric