It's mainly a security thing. So the value is tied to your security
needs.

It first came up in thread regarding MVC purity, and ensuring that
control passed through an Action before it went to a JSP.

The basic idea is that if you have an architecture where all flow goes
through Actions and then to JSPs, putting the JSPs down there ensures
that this plan is always followed. It also absolutely prevents a user
from retrieving a JSP directly. If none of this matters in your
circumstances, then don't bother.

Meanwhile, if you do follow the Action:JSP arcitechture, then the
location of your JSPs is never revealed on the address bar. It may still
be available if you use html:base and they peek at the source. But that
only matters if there were a JSP that they could recall directly that
could reveal sensitive information. Most often this is not the case,
since the Action fetches the sensitive information.

Last I knew, Weblogic did not support this part of the spec, so it's not
an option for many people.

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/struts/