Hi everyone -

I'm pleased to announce Early Access Release 2 of the JSP Standard Tag
Library, now called JSTL (which replaces the old acronym, JSPTL).  While
it is important to realize that Early Access releases are not final and
are always subject to change, JSTL EA2 moves us ever closer to a rich,
robust standard.

The EA2 release contains proposed standard tags for internationalization,
data retrieval (via URLs), formatting, and XML manipulation (using XPath
and XSLT).  It incorporates several new candidate scripting languages,
notably including ECMAScript (most familiar in its incarnation as
JavaScript).  The reference implementation is full of examples and
supplemental support code, and we made sure it's actually well documented,
so it can serve as a helpful guide for those wishing to implement and
integrate custom tag libraries.  (Much of the code is intentionally
written to be instructive.)

The reference implementation is available from Jakarta Taglibs; its name
is now the "standard" tag library.  Automated nightly builds for EA2 (and
regular source distributions from the Taglibs site) will begin tonight,
but if you want an early peek, you can use the following URLs:

  Intro page:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/standard-doc/intro.html

  Documentation:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/standard-doc/index.html

  Binary dist:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-taglibs/releases/standard/

Community support has been great so far; we're eager to get more feedback
as we come closer to a feature-complete release.  Please send all comments
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Many thanks!

Enjoy Thanksgiving!

Shawn Bayern
JSTL reference-implementation lead