Sorry, In my case, userstag is not a bean, it is an iterate reference,
so when I have tried

<logic:iterate id="userstag" name="Users" property="users" >
<bean:write name="userstag" property="userName" filter="true"/>
</logic:iterate>

it does not work,  my html code which is generated has in it

value="<%userstag.userName%>"

Do I need to use a custom tag?

Cheers

Tony