Jeff,

As you're are using Tomcat4 you can reload a web apps context using the
built-in Tomcat management web app.

If your web-apps context is /myWebApp/

Simply enter http://localhost:8080/manager/reload?path=/myWebApp

This should return a simple string that tells you your context has been
reloaded and is usually much quicker than restarting.

The manager app is protected, so you must have a user who can log in with a
manager role.  If you are using the simple memory realm authentication then
update $TOMAT_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml and add:

<user name="jeff" password="foo" roles="manager" />

For more information on the manager app see:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/manager-howto.html

After making code changes building/deploying with ant to test, I always use
this method as I often have a couple of struts web-apps in my Tomcat server.

Regards,
Chris.