I'm new to Struts and trying to see how to best
map an existing app to Struts.

In my current app I let "clients" define certain
page types (e.g., 'home', 'contacts', etc.)  To
allow this and still have some security I put
the client pages in their own web app.  There
may be any number of these client pages
with any name.

To invoke them, I populate the request with beans
they may use and then forward to the client
version of the page.

Because this needs to be open-ended and
dynamic, my project managers can easily
define a new 'page type' and define the beans
they will provide to these client pages.  To make this
easy to use yet flexible, they use JSPs to define
the beans to be passed for any page type.  E.g.:

<%
   com.athensgroup.autoweb_projects.AGTable table =
      new com.athensgroup.autoweb_projects.AGTable(cons);
   table.setTableTitle("Data-driven Contacts Table");
   table.setColumnNames(new String[]{Cons.NAME,
      Cons.COMPANY, Cons.PHONE, Cons.EMAIL, Cons.ROLE});
   table.setColumnLabels(new String[]{"Name", "Company",
      "Phone", "e-mail", "Role"});
   request.setAttribute("ContactsTable", table);
%>

First issue seems to be how to manage some arbitrary
number of app beans.  Do I need to map these into
some one Form bean?  How can this be done when
these are an arbitrary number of these beans which may
dynamically added for any given page 'type'?

The next question is how to forward to some page in
another app which is dynamically discovered.  I don't
see any way statically define the forwards (needs to
be dynamic).

If this is too hard for struts, can I just do my own
includes, forwards, etc. as I do now without impacting
the rest of the app which uses struts?

Frank Lawlor
Athens Group, Inc.
(512) 345-0600 x151
Athens Group, an employee-owned consulting firm integrating technology
strategy and software solutions.