My application requires that I display status messages after successfully
performing some action (like, "You have successfully updated the record").
I was previously doing this in a very inelegant way, but it seems like
ActionMessages are a better approach.

However, since they are relatively new, I can't find any good examples for
using them.  They don't seem to be working with the <html:messages/> tag as
expected.

For example, I have an ActionClass named HomeAction that forwards on success
to index.jsp (the mapping for which is index.do).  In HomeAction.java, I
have this code:

   System.out.println("Preparing to add the message");
   ActionMessages actionMessages = new ActionMessages();

   actionMessages.add(ActionMessages.GLOBAL_MESSAGE, new
ActionMessage("my.key"));

   saveMessages(request, actionMessages);
   System.out.println("Message had been added");

In index.jsp, I have this code:

                Message: <bean:write name="messageid">

When I check the STDOUT logfile after requesting /index.do, I see that the
"Preparing to add the message" and "Message has been added" statements
appear -- so the code is being called.  However, no message shows up on the
Web page (where the html:messages tag is).

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Tom