From: "Peter Kordel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 9:17 PM
Subject: Re: using MySQL as a datasource

> Try these things first:
> Verify that you have the latest stable version of mysql - 3.23.46 I
> think.
> Get the latest driver - 2.0.8
> I ran into an issue with a third-party connection pool that passed
> transaction-level parameters to a pre-3.23.36 mysql server, causing
> *pages* of StackOverflows.
>
> Finally, may I suggest looking into Poolman as an alternative to the
> struts connection pooling.
>
> Marcus Blackhall wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >    I am attempting to use MySQL as a datasouce for struts to make use of
the Connection Pool.  I have in my struts-config.xml file the floowing for
the datasource

> >    <data-sources>
> >     <data-source>
> >       <set-property property="autoCommit"
> >                        value="false"/>
> >       <set-property property="description"
> >                        value="Example Data Source Configuration"/>
> >       <set-property property="driverClass"
> >                        value="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"/>
> >       <set-property property="maxCount"
> >                        value="4"/>
> >       <set-property property="minCount"
> >                        value="2"/>
> >       <set-property property="password"
> >                        value="some_pass"/>
> >       <set-property property="url"
> >                        value="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/myjsp"/>
> >       <set-property property="user"
> >                        value="monty"/>
> >     </data-source>
> >   </data-sources>
> >
> > I have placed the Jars jdbc2_0-stdext.jar, struts.jar and the reuired
MySQL driver jar (mysql_comp.jar) in the WEB-INF/lib directory for my
application.

> > Within the web.xml file for my application the servlet action is defined
as follows :

> > <servlet>
> >     <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>

> >     <init-param>
> >       <param-name>application</param-name>

<param-value>org.apache.struts.webapp.example.ApplicationResources</param-va
lue>
> >     </init-param>
> >     <init-param>
> >       <param-name>config</param-name>
> >       <param-value>/WEB-INF/struts-config.xml</param-value>
> >     </init-param>
> >     <init-param>
> >       <param-name>debug</param-name>
> >       <param-value>2</param-value>
> >     </init-param>
> >     <init-param>
> >       <param-name>detail</param-name>
> >       <param-value>2</param-value>
> >     </init-param>
> >     <init-param>
> >       <param-name>validate</param-name>
> >       <param-value>true</param-value>
> >     </init-param>
> >     <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
> >   </servlet>
> >   <servlet-mapping>
> >     <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
> >     <url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
> >   </servlet-mapping>
> >
> > The problem is that whenever I have the datasource my application will
not run because the action servlet fails on initialisation with the
following error :

> > cannot load servlet name: action: Exception initializing application
data source
> >  org.apache.struts.action.DATA_SOURCE
> >
> > Has anybody got any ideas on this. I have tested within my IDE that the
database can be connected with the above url and user/password connections.
Do I need any more configurations in web.xml or struts-config.xml ?