A new session is created before your JSP is serviced, so I think that's why
you're always getting a session object there.

session.isNew() is an indirect but pretty good way of knowing when a session
has just been created, and thus could be because the old session timed out.

You can also put some kind of token into the session and look for that; if
it's not there then you know it's a new sesssion and the old one must have
timed out.

Sean