Thought I would give this one more try. Has anyone had better luck with
debugging problems caused by say bad action mappings, ie: mis-named action
classes, missing action forms etc. Currently when these problems are
encountered I see no useful error messages in any of my logs (even when
debug is set to 2).
Is this just the way that it is or have I failed to do something?

Thanks,
Erich

Sent previously:

I have been using Struts for some time now. My app's Struts config file has
almost 50 action mappings so I have been down this road a time or two.
Many times when adding a new mapping I run into errors though. For example
the latest on was where the mapping listed an action class called something
like UserCreateAction (package removed). But when I wrote the class itself I
named it UserAddAction.
Now when I built the app and moved to the Orion apps server and ran it when
I get to the JSP that references this action mapping I get a null exception.
Typically I do not catch exceptions in a JSP and the uncaught exceptions go
to my error JSP where it states that the exception is null.
So I go into my web.xml file and change the debug param to 2. I also changed
detail to 2. (By the way what does detail = 2 do?)
Then I re-ran everything after rebuilding and re-deploying. The app still
does the same thing.
OK, fine now I go to check the logs. I check the apps server log where
system outs go. I see no Struts messages except for the flurry of them at
startup. I look at the log4j error logs and see nothing. I also looked at
the apps servers application log where I see some Struts messages but see
nothing about this error.

So my Struts debugging question is this. Are errors encountered when
converting the Struts tags in my JSP written anywhere? Is there more debug
settings I must make? Is there another log that I can check?

I know this is a fairly simple example and I am getting better at debugging
them but it would be nice if there was someway to make this so I check the
log and it says that "Action class UserCreateAction does not exist".

Let me know,
Erich Kilmer
Bell+Howell