Hi,
I'd say, that generally using tiles (or making presentation using single
frame and tables) leads to less complex application. There might however be
cases, when using frames could solve a problem or two. We had a system
where we used hidden frame containing lot of client side information and
other hidden frame where we reloaded javascripts, which were making changes
in main frame, where something like 1000 layers where shown and they were
clickable. I can not imagine how that application could be rewritten
without using frames (reloading main frame on every click would lead to
major network load problems). However I must say that to support and extend
that application, it was nightmare. So, my opinion is that if you can solve
problem without frames - do it. Besides it might help you, if one day you
need to port your application do mobile network enabled devices...
Regards,
Gundars
At 15:58 2002.01.08.s +0000, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've (functionally) prototyped an application using Tiles with no
>frames.  Our 'front end' guy has presented me with the presentation html
>and javascript, and it uses frames.
>
>The application is not portal-like, just a fairly standard app with a
>header, footer and side menu bar.
>
>I've had a search for any information about what would be preferable -
>to use tiles or frames, or some combination of both (I'm struggling a
>bit with this option), but there's not much out there.
>
>Has anyone had to make this decision?  What are the pros and cons of
>frames vs. tiles?  Is it feasible and/or desirable to use them in
>combination?
>
>Any input much appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>Sean.