Another way to go would be writing your own menuForward tag, that knew
about your menu object, so you could write the whole thing in a fell
swoop.

<app:menuForward name="menu"/>

For menuing, this is an interesting package:

http://husted.com/struts/resources/struts-menu.zip

-- Building Java web applications with Struts.
-- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
-- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/