Hi,

I have been using Struts now for about a year and I really like it. It has
saved me a lot of time and made my apps quite stable. I have just been
placed on another large struts project. It will be pushing struts to the
limit. A quick question on design. What I am going to do is a bit difficult
to explain. This app is going to be used by users to input inventory data
into two different databases, an AS400 and an Oracle/SQL database. The user
will enter essentially the same type of inventory data into each system,
but, there are differences between the two. Part of the project plan is that
through a config switch, parameter etc, I will be telling struts if we are
working with an AS400 system or an Oracle/SQL system and then the guy will
slightly change, just the addition or deletion of a gui element.

Example of required elements entered by the users in a form.

AS400                   ORACLE/SQL
employeeID              employeeID
storeroom               storeroom
location                location
location type
bin Number

My question revolves around the form bean.

I though about making a form bean that includes all the properties that are
required by the Inventory object for the AS400 and the ORACLE/SQL system.
This would make one large generic form bean.

Then I thought about making an abstract class that includes all the common
elements amongst the object and from there I would extend and create an
AS400 inventory form or an Oracle/SQL inventory form. If I go this way then
how do I set up the Struts.xml file to use the specific inventory form, if
it could be one of two?

I hope what I am trying to convey is making sense. Depending on a config
setting I think I should be using  one of two form beans, not known until
run time.

Any help in setting up the above is appreciated.

Alex