hehe.

what you need to do is add the "initial" value to the request object and forward the
control to a jsp, not a html page. There you can get the value from the request scope
and do your thing with it.

Are you sure you want to forward and not redirect ? Your way of thinking is not very
clear and probably not such a good idea.