I'm looking for a straightforward way to handle basic form validation. I
downloaded the Struts Validator from Dave Winterfeldt and I really like
the capabilities, but I'm wondering if anyone has a solution that is
more generic? My big problem with the Validator design is the need for
another xml file that I need to fill out for every form I want to
validate.

Maybe I am missing something, but is there a way a) either using this
tool, or b) with another validator - that I can validate a field at the
tag level.

For example, I'd like to write:

validate="required"/>

-or-

email"/>

and not have to deal with a FORM-SPECIFIC xml file. Obviously, I'd have
to detail what it meant to be "required" and what a valid "email" is.
That seems to be done with the validator-rules.xml file. Why can't I
access that directly?

I might just go build this myself, but I was curious if it has already
been done, or if I am missing something with the Struts Validator.

Thanks,
Matt