Does anyone know how to call a javascript function from an html link w/o causing the
parent page to reload, but still having the cursor change to a pointing finger when it
goes over the link?

I'm trying to implement the following basic situation....user clicks on a link, a
child window pops up w/ a listing of widgets, user clicks on a widget, and a value is
passed back to the parent page.  I've been able to get everything working (popup
window, widget listing, return value, etc) w/ an anchor tag like this...
<a onclick="openWidgetWindow()">Click here to see a listing of Widgets</a>

However, one thing w/ this is that the mouse cursor doesn't change to a pointing
finger when it goes over the link because I don't have the href attribute set.  I can
manipulate the stylesheet settings so that it "looks" like a regular link (underline,
same color as all links), but the cursor never changes to a pointing finger to
indicate to the user that it's just a plain old link to click on.  When I try putting
in the href attribute, the page tries to reload (don't want that happening).  I've
tried a variety of dummy values for the href (pound sign '#', blank, etc), but every
value I've tried seems to make the page reload.